THE EFFECT OF MOVEMENT FOR HEALTH
By Jillian Phillips, PhD
Moving for health isn't a new idea, but still, not everyone does it even though there's 100% agreement on its importance. There appears to be a sedentary lifestyle that is being embraced now more than ever. Walking has always been a great exercise even though it appears to be difficult for many to get into a regular focused schedule…we all walk, right? But any movement is better than sitting, which isn't exercise unless you are doing seated Taiji and/or Qigong. HA!…gotcha on that one. The greatest benefit of these particular movements is that they relieve STRESS which is considered to be related to an abundance of other physical & mental issues. A regular practice of Taiji and/or Qigong helps one to develop a habit of allowing the sense of inner pressure (stress) to pass and be replaced with a sense of inner peace. Besides stress, the other things that can be accomplished from a regular commitment to the practice of Taiji and/or Qigong movements are:
- Better structural support for the body (Balance);
- Keeping full range of motion possible;
- Massages internal organs;
- Stretches everything inside you lengthwise down to the smallest muscles & ligaments;
- Laterally twists soft tissues in order to give you access to areas of your body, which may be difficult to reach in order to have an effect;
- Helps all of the fluids to circulate evenly inside your body;
- Increases your Qi (Energy) flow;
- Increases your breathing capacity; and
- Establishes & stabilizes the bio-mechanics alignments of the body.
If you don't use it, you will more-than-likely lose it,
along with everything else.