This circulation and flow is dependent on quantity and the quality of Qi we received at birth from our ancestors, diet & nutrition, and overall lifestyle. Taiji & Qigong practice can transform Qi into healing energy.
When the Qi flow is disrupted, we accumulate the residue of incomplete vital processes (toxins and blockages to the Qi-vitality). This is how many illnesses form. In the beginning of this disruption, there is stagnation. If the residue accumulates over time, they eventually manifest as disease. With regular practice, breathing and meditation most all of our Qi can be regenerated.
BE AWARE OF IT!
A SPECIFIC MOVEMENT FOR LOCATING YOUR QI
First, get into your Wuji Stance that you use to prepare your Taiji practice. Raise your hands in front of you at the comfortable chest height. Cross your arms at the wrist with the insides facing near each other about an inch or so apart but not touching. Slowly move your wrists in a small circle past each other (clockwise then counter clockwise) with no touching. Repeat about 10 or 20 times each direction and focus on any feeling between your wrists. Next, hold your hands close together with the palms facing each other about an inch or so apart but not touching. Slowly move your hands past each other in a small circle (clockwise then counter clockwise) with no touching. Repeat about 10 or 20 times each direction and focus on any feeling between your hands.
One of the signature movements of SUN style taiji is Open & Close Hands. On the surface it appears to be just a simple movement of the hands, but practicing for a while you may be able to notice its power. One major part of it is that it can have a very calming effect on your mind and body. This movement can be compared to playing an accordian!
- Start by holding your hands about 6 or 8 inches apart facing each other in front of you about chest height with hands slightly curved and fingers pointing towards the Universe & slightly separated as if you were holding a ball;
- INHALE while slowly separating your hands along with moving your elbows out a little bit with it to about shoulder width. This is referred to as OPEN;
- EXHALE while slowly bring your hands back in to the starting position. This is referred to as CLOSE;
- Feel the Qi (a slight tingling) between your hands. You will also feel a magnetic resistance while doing this and, after a while, you will notice that it might take some force to Open & Close your hands.
- Concentrate and feel the air moving through your nose and filling your lungs while you are slowly moving your hands; and
- Repeat as often as you wish.